New Jersey mayor ‘skeptical’ about FAA drone ban

  • Drones spotted over New Jersey, Mid-Atlantic
  • FAA imposed partial ban on drones until Jan. 17
  • Area residents are still confused, concerned

(NewsNation) — Michael Melham, the mayor of Belleville, New Jersey, said he’s “skeptical” about a drone ban recently implemented by the Federal Aviation Administration.

The ban does not cover Melham’s community.

“I’m glad, finally, we’re seeing the federal government take action,” Melham said during a Thursday appearance on “Elizabeth Vargas Reports.” “The fact that they are taking action is a first step. However, this new action only takes place for 22 areas here in New Jersey, and Belleville is not one of them.”

FAA officials said the flight restrictions were requested by federal security agencies and are effective through Jan. 17.

The FBI, the Homeland Security Department and state agencies have been investigating, but officials say there has been nothing so far to suggest that any drones have posed a national security or public safety threat.

The agency has warned that “deadly force” could be used against the drones if they pose an “imminent security threat,” and that the government is using “drone busters” to take down unauthorized flyers. 

The agency said pilots who fail to abide by the new restrictions could be “intercepted, detained, and interviewed by the law enforcement/security personnel.” 

NewsNation’s Kellie Meyer contributed to this report.

Northeast

Copyright 2025 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Trending on NewsNation